F-1 student visa:

An F-1 visa is issued to international students who are attending an academic program or English Language Program at a US college or university. F-1 students must maintain the minimum course load for full-time student status. They can remain in the US for up to 60 days beyond the length of time it takes to complete their academic program. In addition, an F1 student can remain for 12 months after securing a degree to work under the OPT (Optional Practical Training) program (or 29 months after graduation for students with a degree in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics who are employed by businesses enrolled in the E-Verify program.)

F-1 students are expected to complete their studies by the expiration date on their I-20 form (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status), provided by the US college or university that the student has been accepted to and will attend.

In order to qualify, applicants:

         Must have a foreign residence to which they intend to return upon completion of their studies;

         Can only study at the academic institution through which the visa was granted;

         Must have sufficient financial support;

         Must have strong ties to their home country (e.g. job offer letter upon completion of studies, assets, bank accounts, and family ties)


It may be possible to convert this visa to a temporary work visa upon completion of the applicant's studies. Spouses and minor children may obtain F-2 visa status and are not authorized to work in the U.S.



The Law Office of Julia Lamanna
                    tel:  212-844-9668

305 Broadway 7th Floor, New York NY 10007                      fax: 212-844-9864


  Site Map